Free eBook: Google Android Developer Training - Labratsgonewild

Monday, January 6, 2014

Free eBook: Google Android Developer Training

My holiday break is comming to an end on thursday - so I wanted to share a free eBook that I visit around 7 - 8 times a day during the break. Yes, I wanted to learn android programming and even with slow internet connection I was able to set it up and got the IDE to work - I got to this point eventually :)

If you search google with the search phrase "starting android development" im very sure that this link is on the top of the list :)

After downloading eclipse - adk bundle I encountered an error saying "Failed to create java virtual machine". When you run the eclipsec.exe you will also get "Could not reserve enough space for object heap" - after reading a few google searcher I came across a stackoverflow link that says change a few lines in the eclipse.ini file into:
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
128M

It didn't fix the error, but I saw similar lines to the one above so what I did (I don't know the reason behind it but it wont hurt to try :p ) is to change the similar lines to the one the post suggested so I ended up with:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.200.v20120913-144807
-product
com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.package.product
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
128M
-showsplash
com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.package.product
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
128m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6
-Xms40m
-Xmx768m
-Declipse.buildId=v22.3.0-887826
-XX:MaxPermSize=128M

And the thing is running now :) My system might not have enough resources for the size specified in the .ini file - it would be great if someone could explain to me the MaxPermSize variable.

If you got problems with running the ADK bundle and found the solution (of still wanna find the solution) please let us know in the comments below so that we could add them to this post.

Cheers!



android image from: fin6

No comments:

Post a Comment